Be 2 Steps Ahead of Your Cloud Adoption
Understanding that cloud is the enabler of digital transformation, many companies have already started with the cloud adoption process. Some have seamlessly transitioned and are already seeing results, while others found it to be challenging. Others have yet to take the first step towards a cloud-enabled digital transformation journey.
Wherever you are in your cloud journey, you can be two steps ahead of other adopters. You can achieve this by learning what has gotten in the way of a seamless cloud migration process for them. Not a few companies who have previously migrated to public cloud moved back to on-premise hosting or private cloud for several reasons.
Here are a few:
The budget plotted for 1year was already used up after a few months. Top reason for this is the unforeseen data transfer rate at the onset of cloud migration. Budgets become more difficult to manage in a public cloud environment as a result.
Poorly planned cloud migration
Organizations migrate back to on-premise infrastructure because the move to the cloud has not met their expected outcome and projected timeline. This happens when the workload was not suited to the cloud, or cloud migration was poorly planned or executed.
Control, security and compliance
Organizations may not have considered that moving workloads to the public cloud doesn’t automatically include security and protection. Organizations are at risk if they do not architect the right security and data protection solutions.
The public cloud has many advantages for a wide variety of use cases. To reap its benefits, however, migration to the public cloud must be properly planned, executed and managed.
How can you be two or more steps ahead in your cloud adoption journey? Public cloud does not mean one size fits all. Having room for customization, provisions for security and ease of accessibility is key. Planning for a hybrid cloud migration at the onset is the way to go.
Here are 5 steps to help you get started with hybrid cloud adoption and migration.
- Plan - Ask the questions that matter: what’s my organization’s business goal (short-term and long-term)? How can my IT support it? What are the available cloud products and services?
- Assess - Define where your business is currently at and where you want it to be while leveraging the value that cloud offers. Evaluate your workloads and assess which ones make sense to be moved to the public cloud and which ones have to be retained on-premise or moved to a private cloud.
- Plot a roadmap - Among the list of workloads, include compelling reasons for the migration, suggested timeline, budget and resource allocation.
- Implement by phase - Following the drafted roadmap, implement by phase. Prioritize based on business needs and available funds and resources.
- Partner - To ensure you don’t waste time with trial-and-error, do it right the first time by tapping the expertise of a reputable and experienced hybrid IT service provider.
Get ahead of your cloud migration journey and stay ahead of the competition. Do it right. Start by talking to the cloud experts at Integrated Computer Systems, Inc.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.